- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be 21 years of age at the time of application.
- Be a resident of Guilford County, of one of its contiguous counties (Rockingham, Alamance, Randolph, Davidson, Stokes and Forsyth), or be willing to relocate to one of these counties within 90 days of hire.
- Be able to perform all of the essential job functions of an inexperienced officer, unassisted, and at pace and level of performance consistent with the actual job performance requirements.
- Minimum Education: High School Graduate or G.E.D.
- Candidate must possess a valid driver's license.
- Candidate must be able to pass a drug screening and a complete medical examination by a licensed physician, including psychological testing and evaluation.
Employment drug policy:The Guilford County Sheriff’s Office is firmly committed to a drug-free society and workplace. Therefore, the unlawful use of drugs by GCSO employees is not tolerated. Furthermore, applicants for employment with the GCSO who currently use illegal drugs will be found unsuitable for employment. The Guilford County Sheriff’s Office does not condone any prior unlawful drug use by applicants. During the application process, all applicants will be required to fully disclose any prior illegal drug use. An applicant’s history of illegal drug use will be considered, along with the applicant’s full personal/professional background, when evaluating the applicant’s history and character for honesty, reliability, and integrity in order to select the most qualified candidate for an available position. We realize, however, some otherwise qualified applicants may have used drugs at some point in their past. The following policy sets forth the criteria for determining whether any prior drug use makes an applicant unsuitable for employment, balancing the needs of the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office to maintain a drug-free workplace and the public integrity necessary to accomplish the mission of the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office. Applicants who do not meet the listed criteria should not apply for any GCSO position.
You can easily determine whether you meet the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office’s illegal drug policy by answering the following questions:
- Have you used marijuana at all within the last three years?
- Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids) at all in the past 10 years?
- Have you ever sold, distributed, manufactured, or transported any illegal drug?
- Have you ever used any prescription drug or used a legally obtainable substance in a manner for which it was not intended within the past three years (36 months)?
*If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, you are not suitable for employment with the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office.
- Prior Full Time Military Service - $360 increase per year for up to 10 years of active service
- Prior Full Time Corrections/Probation Officer experience - $360 increase per year for up to 10 years of active service
- Prior Full Time Fire/EMS Experience - $1800 increase for 5 years of active service or $3600 increase for 10 years of active service
- Fluency in Spanish, Vietnamese, or Arabic - $1,800 increase
- Holiday Pay for Rotational Schedule - Approximately $2,000 per year
- Extensive Possible Overtime Opportunities after completing Field Training - Approximately $195-$255 per Overtime Shift
Applicants with prior US Military service, or who have earned an Associates, Bachelors, or a job related Masters/equivalent Post-Graduate degree will receive an increase in pay for either their education or active military service. Similarly, Applicants with prior full time Law Enforcement experience or prior full time Fire/EMS experience will receive an increase in pay for either their prior Law Enforcement/Corrections/Probation experience or their prior Fire/EMS experience.
Benefits listed on the Guilford County website
APPLY ONLINE for Detention Officer