Requirements for Obtaining a Marriage License
Application Requirements: (Please read carefully)
- Applicants must show proof of identity and have knowledge of Social Security number.
- BOTH parties should be present when applying for the marriage license. The marriage may be performed anywhere within North Carolina.
Applicants’ Proof of Age Requirements: Ages 21+
- Social Security card or knowledge of number,and
- Valid ID with name and date of birth – Acceptable identifications:
- Driver’s license (may not be expired), or
- State-issued I.D. Card (may not be expired), or
- Passport (may not be expired), or
- Military I.D. (may not be expired)
- Social Security card or knowledge of number and
- Valid ID with name and date of birth – Acceptable identifications: same as above, and
- Certified copy of birth certificate
Less than 18 years of age contact the office for Special License requirements and information regarding consenting parents.
Divorced applicants must provide the month and year of their last divorce. If the divorce was finalized the same day of applying for the marriage license, the applicant must provide a certified copy of the divorce decree. There is no waiting period between the divorce and applying for the new license. The Guilford County Register of Deeds does not handle divorces.
To obtain additional information about divorce proceedings, visit the Clerk of Superior Court.
General Information About Getting Married
- Applicants do NOT need to be residents of North Carolina to marry in Guilford County or North Carolina.
- A premarital medical examination is NOT required.
- Two witnesses are required for all marriage ceremonies.
- Marriage licenses are issued between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding Guilford County-observed holidays. It is necessary for couples to arrive at the office before 4:30 p.m. to complete the paperwork necessary to obtain a marriage license.
- The marriage license fee is $60 check or cash. An optional certificate of marriage keepsake is available for $1.00, only at the time the marriage license is issued. The license is good immediately upon issuance and is valid for 60 days.
- Both parties should appear at the Register of Deeds, if possible (NCGS 51.8.2). If an applicant for a marriage license is over 18 years of age and is unable to appear in person please call the Register of Deeds office at (336) 641-7556 for assistance.
- Applicants must show their valid ID, provide their social security number and sign the marriage license at the Guilford County Register of Deeds office.
- Per North Carolina law, all applicants must provide their Social Security number. If ineligible for a Social Security Number, an affidavit must be completed. Download the affidavit form.
- If you are obtaining a marriage license or birth or death certificate on a Friday or at the end of the month, please allow extra time for processing as these are high volume days.
Who Performs Marriages
Marriages may be performed by an ordained minister of any religious denomination, a minister authorized by a church, a magistrate, or a federally- or state-recognized Indian Nation or tribe.
Civil and Criminal Magistrates will perform marriage ceremonies. For more information, contact the Guilford County Magistrates Office below.
What you need:
- The entire packet you received from the Register of Deeds
- $20 Cash
- Two (2) witnesses with positive identification
- Friday: By Appointment Only in the Greensboro Civil Office
- Friday: 10am – 2pm in the High Point Civil Office
- Saturday: 10am – 2pm in the Greensboro/High Point Criminal Office
- Sunday: 10am – 2pm in the Greensboro/High Point Criminal Office
Civil Office: 201 S. Eugene St. Suite 214
Criminal Office: 201 S. Edgeworth St.
- High Point
Civil Office: 505 E. Green Dr.
Criminal Office: 505 E. Green Dr.
Weddings are officiated on a first-come, first-served basis unless an appointment is required.
Click on any of the links below to obtain a copy of the Magistrate information.
- Greensboro Office
Civil/Small Claims Court:
- High Point Office
Change Last Name After Marriage
You’ll need a certified copy of your marriage license in order to change your name on your driver’s license and your Social Security card. Wait at least 10 (TEN) days after the ceremony is performed to allow sufficient time for your license to be returned to the Register of Deeds. You may visit the office or request it by mail at: P. 0. Box 3427, Greensboro, NC 27402-3427.
In your request, include the names of both applicants, date of the marriage and the address where copies should be mailed. Certified copies of your marriage license are $10 each. Check or cash will be accepted.
Present the certified copy of your marriage license along with other required documentation to the Social Security Administration. After applying for a new Social Security card, you should wait at least 24 hours before going to the Department of Motor Vehicles to update your driver’s license.The Social Security Administration is at 6005 Landmark Center Blvd in Greensboro. The phone number is 877-319-3075.
Get a Certified Copy of Marriage License
You may purchase a certified copy of your marriage license filed in Guilford County by visiting the Register of Deeds Office or by mail at: PO Box 3427, Greensboro, NC 27402-3427. The fee is $10.
Complete the form, print and mail in to the Register of Deeds. Send a check or money order for $10 along with the form and a photocopy of your picture identification.
Guilford County Register of Deeds can only provide copies of marriage licenses that were issued in Guilford County. For marriage licenses issued outside Guilford County, contact the county where the marriage license was issued. If you do not know the North Carolina County where the marriage license was filed, visit the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services Vital Records website.
Online Marriage License Application
Applicants who wish to obtain a marriage license in Guilford County may complete their application ONLINE or at the Guilford County Register of Deeds office located the BB&T Building 201, West Market Street,1st Floor, Greensboro, NC 27402 (336) 641-7556 or Register of Deeds, 325 East Russell Avenue, Room 155 , High Point, NC 27261 (336) 641-6935.
Checklist For Obtaining A Marriage License
- Social security number
- Proper identification (example: driver’s license, state identification, passport)
- * Certified copy of birth certificate, if under 21 years old.
- If under 18, contact this office
- Cost: $60.00 — check, cash, debit or credit card
- Keepsake certificate — $1.00, optional
* A certified birth certificate in English or a notarized translation must be provided. Please bring both the native and notarized translated copy.
Proof of your marriage is available upon request in person or by mail once the officiant returns your license. The officiant is required by law to return both copies of the license to the Register of Deeds within ten days after the ceremony (NCGS 51.7).