Locations to Obtain Death Certificates
Death Certificates for deaths occurring in Guilford County are issued at the Guilford County Register of Deeds office located at the BB&T Building, 201 West Market Street, 1st Floor, Greensboro, N.C. or 325 East Russell Avenue, High Point, N.C. You can also obtain a copy by mail.
Death Certificate Information
To get a certified death certificate, one of the following (A, B or C) must apply:
- Applicant is an immediate family member of the individual on the certificate.Applicant can be spouse, sister, brother, child, parent / stepparent, grandparent or grandchild.
- Applicant is seeking information for legal determination of personal or property rights.
- Applicant is authorized agent, attorney or legal representative of the person.
To get a copy of a death certificate in person:
- Make sure the requirements listed above are met.
- In order to obtain a certified copy of a vital record you must present an acceptable form of a picture identification that shows name. Examples are state issued driver’s licenses, state issued ID card and passports. Identification is also requested for uncertified copies of a Vital record.
To get a copy of a death certificate by mail: Send your information with check or money order in the correct amount to:
REGISTER OF DEEDS
VITAL RECORDS SECTION
P.O. BOX 3427
GREENSBORO, NC 27402-3427
The cost of all certified copies of vital records is $10.00 per copy. The costs of uncertified copies are $1.00 per page if by mail. Guilford County accepts cash, checks or money orders made payable to “Register of Deeds”. Your request will be processed within three working days upon receipt.
NOTE: YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE PROCESSED WITHOUT AN ORIGINAL SIGNATURE; THEREFORE, WE CANNOT ACCEPT REQUESTS BY E-MAIL OR FAX.
Please send the completed form along with a copy of your picture ID to the address above. Download the form to request a copy of a birth, death, or marriage record. If unable to download request form, please provide a written request including the following information, along with your picture ID and signature:
- Full Name on Certificate
- Date of Death
- Your Relationship to the Person whose Certificate is Requested
- Your Signature
Records Filed In Other North Carolina Counties
Guilford County Register of Deeds does not record or issue copies of death records from other counties, states or countries. You must obtain copies of those records from the county where the death occurred. If you do not know the North Carolina county where the death occurred, contact NC Vital Records at 919-733-3000.
- Complete the online application. Click here for a Guilford County Death Certificate. (Or complete the application at the Guilford County Register of Deeds Office.)
- Bring the completed application along with your photo ID and $10 in cash, check or money order for each certified copy requested.
- Certified copies are $10.00 each and uncertified copies in person are $.05 each.
Online Death Certificate Application
Certain errors that appear on the original certificate or information not given at time of death may be corrected. Amendments are done by appointment between 8:00 and 10:00 a.m. and between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m.
Please bring a $15.00 money order payable to NC Vital Records when you come to our office. The Guilford County Register of Deeds amendment processing fee is $10 payable by cash or check. We will forward the amendment to NC Vital Records. Processing time does vary. We will call you when the death certificate has been amended.
Please call 336-641-7556 for information and to schedule an appointment.
Death registrations should be filed at the Guilford County Health Department. Call 336-641-3160 for more information.
Fetal Death Reports
Fetal death reports are received at the Guilford County Health Department. Call 336-641-3160 for more information.
Wills & Estates
Wills and Estates are dealt with by the Clerk of Court’s office. The Clerk’s office is located at the Guilford County Courthouse, 201 S. Eugene Street, Greensboro, Wills & Estates, UG level, 336-412-7300.
You may search and print copies of Guilford County death records for genealogy research in the Register of Deeds’ research center. The fee is 5 cents per photocopy. Death records in this office go back to September 1911. Please call 336-641-7556 for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org.