Locations to Obtain Birth Certificates
Birth Certificates for births occurring in Guilford County are issued at the Guilford County Register of Deeds office located at the BB&T Building, 201 West Market Street, 1st Floor, Greensboro, N.C. or 325 East Russell Avenue, High Point, N.C. You can also obtain a copy by mail.
Birth Certificate Information
To get a certified birth certificate, one of the following (A, B or C) must apply:
- Applicant is an immediate family member of the individual on the certificate.Applicant can be self, spouse, sister, brother, child, parent / stepparent, grandparent or grandchild.
- Applicant is seeking information for legal determination of personal or property rights.
- Applicant is authorized agent, attorney or legal representative of the person.
To get a copy of a birth certificate in person:
- Make sure the requirements listed above are met.
- In order to obtain a certified copy of a vital record you must present an acceptable form of a picture identification that shows name. Examples are state issued driver’s licenses, state issued ID card and passports. Identification is also requested for uncertified copies of a Vital record.
- Complete the online application for a Guilford County Birth Certificate. (Or complete the application at the Guilford County Register of Deeds Office.)
- Bring the completed application along with your photo ID and $10 in cash, check or money order for each certified copy requested.
- Certified copies are $10.00 each and uncertified copies in person are $.05 each. There is no charge for the first copy of the birth certificate for applicants age 62 or older. The person requesting the free copy must be the certificate owner.
To get a copy online:
To obtain a birth, death and/or marriage certificate online please click here.
To get a copy of a birth certificate by mail:
Mail In Requests: Send your information with check or money order in the correct amount to REGISTER OF DEEDS VITAL RECORDS SECTION P.O. BOX 3427 GREENSBORO, NC 27402-3427
The cost of all certified copies of vital records is $10.00 per copy. The costs of uncertified copies are $1.00 per page if by mail. There is no charge for the first copy of the birth certificate for applicants age 62 or older. The person requesting the free copy must be the certificate owner. Guilford County accepts cash, checks or money orders made payable to “Register of Deeds”. Your request will be processed within three working days upon receipt.
NOTE: YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE PROCESSED WITHOUT AN ORIGINAL SIGNATURE; THEREFORE, WE CANNOT ACCEPT REQUESTS BY E-MAIL OR FAX.
Please send the completed form along with a copy of your picture ID to the address above. Download the form to request a copy of a birth, death, or marriage record. If unable to download request form, please provide a written request including the following information, along with your picture ID and signature.
- Full Name on Certificate
- Date of Birth
- Mother’s Full Maiden Name
- Father’s Full Name
- Your Relationship to the Person whose Certificate is Requested
- Your Signature
Out of County Birth Certificates
Out of County birth certificates are issued between the hours of 8:00-4:30.
Birth certificates for persons born in North Carolina counties other than Guilford are available if the following criteria are met:
- Birth must have occurred in North Carolina
- Birth must have occurred 1971-forward
- Child must not have been adopted
If these criteria are met the Guilford County Register of Deeds office can issue an out of county birth certificate. The fee is $24.00 cash only and you must present a photo ID.
Online Birth Certificate Application
Adoption records are not available at the Guilford County Register of Deeds Office. For assistance, contact N.C. Vital Records at 919-733-3000.
Delayed Birth Certificates
A person born in Guilford County who is more than 1 year old and for whom a birth certificate has not been registered may file an application for a delayed certificate of birth.
NC Vital Records must conduct a search to ensure that no certificate is on file. This search by NCVR is $24.00. If no birth record is located, a “No Record Found” letter will be issued. Take this letter to Guilford County Register of Deeds when you request the delayed birth certificate.
Please call 336-641-7556 to schedule an appointment for filing a delayed birth certificate. The applicant will be required to provide documents proving the facts of birth. The fee is $20, which includes a certified copy, payable by cash, check or money order to Guilford County Register of Deeds. In addition, NC Vital Records charges a $15 expedite fee payable by money order to process as soon as possible. The Guilford County Register of Deeds Office will forward application to NC Vital Records for final processing.
Birth Certificate Amendments
Certain errors that appear on the original certificate or information not given at time of birth may be corrected. Amendments are done by appointment only between 8:00 and 10:00 a.m. and between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m. For birth’s prior to 1971 please bring a $15.00 money order payable to NC Vital Records and an additional $10.00 cash when you come to our office. For birth’s that occurred in 1971 or after please bring $25.00 cash only. The Guilford County Register of Deeds amendment processing fee is $10.00 and NC Vital Record’s fee is $15.00. We will forward the amendment to NC Vital Records. Processing time does vary. We will call to inform you when the birth certificate has been amended.
Please call 336-641-7556 for information and to schedule an appointment.
Court-Ordered Name Changes
Apply for a court ordered name change at the Guilford County Courthouse, 201 S. Eugene Street, Greensboro, Special Proceedings, UG level, 336-412-7300.
Add Father’s Name to Birth Records (Legitimations)
To add the father to a birth record please contact the Guilford County Register of Deeds office at 336-641-7556 for instructions and to schedule an appointment.
Birth Records Filed in Other States/Countries
Birth certificates are maintained by each state for the people who are born in that state. Contact the county or state vital records in the state where you were born to get a copy of your birth certificate. Visit the CDC website to find out where you should write for vital records across the United States.
If you were born outside the United States and your parents were United States citizens at the time of your birth, you can write to — US Department of State Washington Passport Agency 1111 19th Street, NW Suite 300, Washington DC 20522-1705; (202) 647-0518.
You may search and print copies of Guilford County birth records for genealogy research in the Register of Deeds’ research center. The fee is 5 cents per photocopy. Birth records in this office go back to November 1913. Please call 336-641-7556 for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org.