Application system now available
To mitigate the impact of COVID-19 on Guilford County Nonprofits and their employees, and residents, Guilford County is providing emergency financial support through the Guilford CARES Nonprofit Assistance Grant Program that is targeted at qualified nonprofit agencies that are negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic due to Stay at Home Orders and to meet the needs in the community not addressed by other sources. The program will provide one-time grants of up to $50,000 to help offset the significant, temporary service impacts of nonprofits during this pandemic.
The County has initially identified up to $2.5 million in emergency relief funds to support the nonprofit agencies and assist residents in our community who have been hardest hit by the pandemic, specifically local nonprofits with a location in the County. The source of funding for this grant program is the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act federal stimulus package.
The objective of this program is to offer immediate financial assistance to nonprofit agencies in Guilford County to aid in maintaining their business, workforce, and residents. The application will be available on Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 3:00 PM. Awards will be made on a first come, first served basis. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. In order to expedite issuance of funds applications will only be received using the online tool below.
Please carefully read and review program eligibility criteria and sample application provided below. Frequently asked questions and answers are also provided. Those with additional questions may contact the Nonprofit Grant Program at GuilfordCARESNonprofit@guilfordcountync.gov.
- To support non-profit agencies in their outreach efforts to cover expenditures incurred due to the public health emergency with respect to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), which were not previously budgeted, and were (or will be) incurred between March 1, 2020 and December 30, 2020).
- To provide necessary emergency financial assistance to individuals and families directly impacted by a loss of income due to the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Grants of up to $50,000 for approved programs through a competitive grant review process managed by the United Way.
- The organization is a 501(c)3, 501(c)4, or 501(c)6 organization in good standing with the North Carolina Secretary of State
- The proposed program will benefit individuals living within the borders of Guilford County and is not intended for other counties in North Carolina.
- The organization physically located within the boundaries of Guilford County N.C.
- The organization is engaged in activities that are legal under the law.
- The organization can meet the program technical requirements including the ability to provide financial records to support the grant request and program validation. Technical requirements are providing a copy of your IRS Tax Exemption Determination letter and a budget for the use of the requested grant funds.
- Review the process detailed in the Nonprofit Assistance Grant Program Overview.
- View the checklist for the grant process (English)
- Grant applications must be completed and filed electronically.
- Provide copy of your IRS Tax Exemption Determination Letter and a proposed budget (See sample budget form) for the use of the requested funds. If you do not have a copy of your IRS Tax Exemption Letter, please upload a copy of your most recently filed IRS Form 990, or the Copy of the Charitable Solicitation License that can be found at the NC Secretary of State website at: NC Secretary of State Charities
- Sample Nonprofit Assistance Grant Application (English)
- Sample Nonprofit Assistance Grant COVID Relief Fund Budget Template (Excel)
Overview For Nonprofit Assistance Grants
What is the purpose of the Guilford CARES Nonprofit Assistance Grant?
Guilford CARES Nonprofit Grant offers emergency relief to support non-profit agencies in their outreach efforts to cover expenditures incurred due to the public health emergency with respect to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), which were not previously budgeted, and were (or will be) incurred between March 1, 2020 and December 30, 2020).
Where did this funding come from?
These funds come from the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. Congress designated a portion of funds to go to local governments to meet urgent financial needs within communities.
Which nonprofits qualify for this funding?
All nonprofits organizations that are located and provide services in Guilford County.
What can I use these funds to pay for?
Funds can be used to pay for food insecurity expenses (Food banks and providing meals), Public Health Measures and Supplies (providing masks, purchase of equipment such as plexiglass, and other health measures to mitigate and prevent the spread of coronavirus), and Medical Access (transportation, testing, screening, and education).
How much funding is available for nonprofits?
Guilford County has set aside $2.5 million for eligible nonprofits to each receive a one-time grant of up to $50,000. This $50,000 is not a loan and does not need to be reimbursed.
If I’m approved, how quickly will I receive assistance?
Complete applications with all required documentation will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. Depending on the number of applicants, the goal is to approve applications and process payments within 7-14 days from the date of application submission. Please be advised that no organization is guaranteed to receive a grant, and no organization has a property right or legal explanation of receipt of funds.
Guilford County is committed to helping our nonprofit organizations in need of aid as quickly as possible. Due to the widespread impact of the pandemic to our local community, we anticipate a high volume of requests.
What is the application deadline?
Guilford CARES Nonprofit Grant program will begin accepting applications on Wednesday, June 10, 2020. The application period will close when all grant funds have been awarded.
Which Nonprofits Qualify to Apply, Which Do Not and Why?
Which nonprofits qualify for the Guilford CARES Nonprofit Grant?
Nonprofit organizations are eligible for up to $50,000 grant if it meets ALL of the following criteria:
- The nonprofit organization is physically located within the boundaries of Guilford County, North Carolina.
- The nonprofit organization suffered from business interruption caused by required closures resulting from the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- The nonprofit organization is not operating in violation of any state, federal or local laws.
Am I eligible if I meet some, but not all, of the eligibility requirements?
No, a nonprofit organization must meet ALL eligibility requirements to be eligible.
Are churches eligible for this grant?
Churches are eligible for this grant program. Churches are generally automatically considered 501 (c) 3 organizations and would be eligible for the program.
What documentation do I need to provide?
- Completed electronically filed application.
- Provide copy of your IRS Tax Exemption Determination Letter. If you do not have a copy of your IRS Tax Exemption Letter, please upload a copy of your most recently filed IRS Form 990, or the Copy of the Charitable Solicitation License that can be found at the NC Secretary of State website at: NC Secretary of State Charities.
- A copy of the proposed budget for the use of the requested funds (see sample budget form).
How do I apply?
Guilford CARES Nonprofit Grant applicants must submit an online form with financial documentation and payroll records. The application can be found in the How To Apply accordion section on this page.How quickly will I receive my grant once approved?
Once an application is approved, nonprofits can expect to receive grant funds after payment processing and due diligence has been completed. Depending on the number of applicants, it may take up to 7-14 days from the start of application review until eligible business applicants will receive the approved funding.Will my business be required to report how I spent funds that are awarded?
The County reserves the right to request such information. Also note that your business may be required to provide access to such records as may be necessary to prevent fraud or ensure compliance with federal requirements.Why did the County set the maximum grant amount at $50,000?
Guilford County targeted this amount to provide meaningful financial relief to as many nonprofits as possible. Based on the anticipated number of qualified nonprofits in the county, an amount of $50,000 allows the County to help all eligible nonprofits that may apply.
What if I have nonprofits in Guilford County and another county; can I use the grant for both nonprofits?
No, the grant funds can only be used to assist the nonprofits in Guilford County.
Must a small business enter into a Grant Agreement for use of these funds?
The grant application, if approved and signed by the county shall serve as the grant agreement and shall be binding upon the applicant.
Questions and Help with the Guilford CARES Nonprofit Grant
What if I have questions about the application or whether my business qualifies?
Guilford County is here to help. Email: GuilfordCARESNonProfit@guilfordcountync.gov.
Questions will be answered in the order in which they are received. Due to the widespread impact of the pandemic on our local community, the County anticipates a high volume of applications.
For further information or questions please email GuilfordCARESNonProfit@guilfordcountync.gov