Education and Training

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

There are multiple higher education programs that are in effect for active duty, reserve duty, discharged veteran, and disabled veterans and their dependents or dependents of deceased veterans. Some are programs were contributory in nature, which means that you paid into a fund. Each program has specific active duty dates, enrollment periods, entitlement dates and expiration dates.

For more detailed information refer to Educational Benefits and the GI Bill website

Vocational Rehabilitation: Service-disabled veterans may be eligible for VA funded special retraining in an effort to obtain suitable employment. This may include the costs of training, monthly living expenses, counseling and related medical and dental treatment.

Dependents Educational Assistance:
The Survivor’s and Dependents’ Educational assistance (DEA) program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

To be eligible, you must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.

If you are a son or daughter and wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage is not a bar to this benefit. If you are in the Armed Forces, you may not receive this benefit while on active duty. To pursue training after military service, your discharge must not be under dishonorable conditions.
For additional information see Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program Pamphlet or contact your local VA Regional Office for additional assistance by dialing toll-free, 1-888-442-4551.

NCDVA Scholarship: The State of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs provides scholarships for children of certain deceased, disabled or POW/MIA veterans. Click on the link below to begin your scholarship application: