The Guilford County Sheriff's Office is offering a Sheriff's Citizen Academy to Guilford County residents who are interested in learning more about law enforcement operations and the Guilford County Sheriff's Office internal processes. The classes will start on Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 6:30p.m. The basic goal of the Sheriff's Citizen Academy is to improve law enforcement/community relations through a formalized educational process.
The Sheriff's Citizen Academy will present a wide range of topical training subjects condensed from the standard training curriculum of sheriff's deputies. By presenting this program, we hope to provide a broad educational experience which will acquaint attending citizens with the mission of sheriff's personnel and the requirements of law to which officers must conform while carrying out their prescribed duties.
Through attendance and participation in the Sheriff's Citizen Academy:
- Citizens will be able to make more informed judgments about the Sheriff's Office and law enforcement activities.
- The Sheriff's Office will become more aware of the feelings and concerns of the community, as expressed by attending citizens.
- Citizens and Sheriff's representatives will have an opportunity to explore together some of the traditional suspicions and misconceptions generally harbored by both citizens and sheriff's deputies. Through open discussion of such suspicions and misconceptions, a more harmonious climate for relationships may be established.
The Academy will consist of 2 months of sessions that meet once a week, on Thursday evenings, from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and four (4) Saturday labs. A variety of different classes will be provided. The classes will be held at the First Baptist Church, located at 405 N Main St, High Point, NC 27260, in the class room area. Labs will be held at various locations.
Attached is: an application for the Academy and a listing of the schedule. If you are interested in attending, please fill out the proper paperwork and return it to the Sheriff’s Office. We hope you will find the Academy an opportunity to learn more about your Sheriff's Office. Please consider contributing to the betterment of the Sheriff's Office and the Guilford County Community by taking part in the Academy.
Membership in the Guilford County Sheriff’s Citizen Academy is open to all interested persons of the age of eighteen (18) or older who meet the following requirements:
- Must not be convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor or have received a prayer for judgment for either.
- Must not have pending charges for a felony or serious misdemeanor.
- Must not be a current or former member of any criminal gang or organization that advocates the overthrow of any local, state or federal government.
- Must pass a background investigation.
- Must sign a Waiver and Release.
- Any omissions or misrepresentation on this application will result in your application NOT being approved.
- Participants MUST meet the attendance requirements (80% of class schedule).
Deadline: Return applications no later than Monday, September 2, 2019 to:
Guilford County Sheriff’s Office
Attention: CRU, MCpl. JA Page
400 West Washington St. Greensboro, NC 27401
Master Corporal J. Page | (336) 641-3378 | firstname.lastname@example.org