Grading Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
grading-photoGrading Permit Requirements:

A grading permit is required when any area over one (1) acre (43,560 square feet) is grubbed or graded. Examples of development requiring grading permits include subdivisions, shopping centers, commercial and industrial development, apartments, townhouses, churches, and recreational development. Exemptions from grading permit requirements include disturbed areas less than (one) 1 acre in size, agriculture, mining, and area~ under State or Federal jurisdiction.

The following items are needed to apply for a grading permit:

  • Four (4) copies of an Erosion Control/Grading Plan prepared and sealed by a registered professional engineer, architect, landscape architect, or registered surveyor.
  • A grading permit application.
  • Financial responsibility statement. If the person financially responsible is not a resident of North Carolina, a North Carolina agent must be designated in the statement.
  • Erosion control surety in the amount of $1,500.00 per acre disturbed, to the nearest 1/10 of an acre. (Sureties for demolition landfills are $2,000.00 per acre). Sureties include Land Improvement Bondirrevocable letters of creditAdministrative Hold on Savings Account or CD Sample – Copy, cash, and cashier’s check made payable to Guilford County.
  • Payment of the grading permit fee based on disturbed acreage (see fee schedule).

To access the grading permit application, click here.

Click here to access the irrevocable letter of credit.