Hi, my name is PETE! Well, actually it is Polyethylene Terephthalate Ester. I know that’s a mouthful, so my friends just call me PETE. If you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m a giant plastic bottle! I’m also Guilford County’s recycling guru and let me tell you, I’m crazy about recycling! My job is to help everyone learn about recycling – how to do it and why it’s important.
I’m looking for people to be on Team PETE. What is Team PETE you ask? Well it’s a group of people who know how to recycle the right way. Some people say, “PETE, how do I recycle the right way?” You just have to know the rules of recycling here in Guilford County and use them when you recycle at home, school, work, or any other place you go.
Not sure if you are recycling the right way? Well, it’s simple and here are some of my personal pointers:
Plastic is a great thing to throw in your bin!
- Plastic bottles, containers like yogurt cups, butter tubs and shampoo bottles are great, but NOT plastic bags. They go back to the grocery store to be recycled. It’s okay to leave the covers on the bottles.
Aluminum and steel cans are great to recycle too!
- America recycled enough aluminum cans last year to stretch to the moon and back 8 times!
- Steel cans can be recycled over and over and over again! If you put them in your bin, they’ll come back as cans again! Remember, aerosol cans can be recycled too. Just make sure they’re empty and take the caps off!
Glass bottles and jars go in your recycling bin!
- We don’t want light bulbs or the kind of glass that you cook in – just glass jars and bottles that food comes in. Please take the covers off first and rinse them out.
- Spread the word! Americans throw away enough newspaper each year to build a wall twelve-feet high stretching from New York City to Los Angeles. We need to recycle more newspapers.
- Don’t forget to recycle boxes! Cereal boxes, tissue boxes and even shoe boxes can be recycled. Just remember to flatten them before they go in your bin!
I have a super little recycling flyer that you can print out and share with your friends and family. Click here to check it out!
You all probably know that recycling is a great way to help protect our environment. By recycling materials like metal cans, plastic bottles (like me!) and glass jars, we can reuse them to make new bottles and cans and also lots of other things. So, stick with Team PETE and become a recycling superstar!!!