Food, Lodging, and Institutions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

We provide an array of services to and for the public. Our staff inspects restaurants, mobile food units, hotels, motels, nursing homes, hospitals, jails, schools and all types of public swimming pools. Our services are mandated to provide for the public’s health of Guilford County. Inspections of food handling establishments follow the N.C Rules Governing Food Protection and Sanitation of Food Establishments and (15A NCAC 18A.2600).

NC Food Code Manual

Staff provides SERVSAFE exams at various times each year.  This is a national exam and the certificate is valid for five (5) years. See below for further information.

Are you interested in opening a Foodservice Establishment? Download our Information Letter and Application for more information. After you refine your concept and develop your scaled plan, Staff will review and comment on your architectural and engineered plans for minimum sanitations standards. Field visits are made to verify compliance with approved plans and proper installation. All equipment is reviewed to determine compliance with ANSI/NSF standards. We issue permits to operate a public facility.

If you are interested in buying or reopening an existing Foodservice Establishment, your operation may qualify for a transitional permit. A transitional permit or full permit must be acquired before a new owner can begin operation. Staff will review the application and determine if you meet the necessary qualifications. Considerations for a transitional permit may include such parameters as:

  • The permit for that establishment must still be active and operating/inspected within the last year.
  • If equipment has been removed, the power or water disconnected, or the physical structure of the building has been changed; the permit for the establishment is likely to have been revoked and would, therefore, not qualify for a transitional permit.
  • The menu must stay the same, using the same equipment and procedures.

If you feel like you may qualify for a transitional permit, download the transitional permit application. Complete this application and remit it to staff.

Lodging facilities now go through plan review at the County level.  All new hotels, motels, Bed & Breakfast homes and inns must complete an application and provide architectural plans to our office.

All of our staff are professional sanitarians. We are registered through the state-wide REHS Board. Some staff possess a national registration through NEHA. We have comprehensive Environmental Health training with specialization in Food, Lodging, Institutions and Swimming Pools. We are required to maintain continuing education every year.

Contact us with comments or questions.


Traveling out of Guilford County? Want to check out Food Service Inspections for 60 other Counties? The TV station from Raleigh, WRAL, has an extensive listing of facilities by county.

How about Cruises? Want to know more? Check out the Vessel Sanitation Program provided by the Center for Disease Control, CDC. CDC offers information on Norwalk virus, cruising tips and even Vessel Inspection Scores.


2020 ServSafe Registration Form

Test Only: Friday, March 27, 2020 (9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.); Guilford County Public Health, 1100 E. Wendover Avenue, Greensboro, NC 27405, 4th Floor, Room 475. Limited to eight (8) people.

Test Only:  Friday, October 9, 2020 (9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.); Guilford County Public Health, 1100 E. Wendover Avenue, Greensboro, NC  27405, 4th Floor, Room 475.  Limited to eight (8) people.

Contact (336) 641-3771 for additional information.

Setup Info

Looking for information about the setup for a special event? Visit our Temporary Food Establishment page for further details and graphics for the tent setup. Contact us for details.


Visit a fun and interactive website about handwashing.

Are you looking for handwashing signage to replace your old, worn out one? English is available as well as Spanish.

Food Service Codes

View the Food Service Codes for North Carolina.

Shellfish Advisory

Are you looking for Shellfish Advisory signage? English and Spanish versions are available.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer