|RESOLUTION FOR ESTABLISHMENT OF REVISED POLICY AND PROCEDURES FOR APPOINTMENTS TO COUNTY BOARDS, COMMISSIONS, COMMITTEES OR AUTHORITIES|
WHEREAS, the Board of Commissioners is desirous of appointing qualified, knowledgeable, and dedicated people to serve on the aforesaid boards, commissions, committees or authorities, and to that end solicits the interest and input of the citizens of Guilford County in making said appointments,
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Guilford County Board of Commissioners that:
Section 1. The policy of Guilford County governing appointments to the various boards, commissions, committees or authorities made by the Board of County Commissioners is as follows:
1. Any citizen of Guilford County is eligible to serve on the appointed boards, commissions, committees or authorities of the County where such appointment is not prohibited by State statute.
2. All appointments will be made according to the Appointments Statute or Ordinance that created that board, commission, committee or authority.
3. No citizen of Guilford County may serve in more than two appointed positions of Guilford County Government unless exempted by nature of the position he or she may hold in Governmental Service.
4. Unless otherwise stated by statute, all terms of office where terms of office are determined by the Board of County Commissioners shall be three (3) years. No citizen may serve more than two (2) consecutive full terms (6 years). With three year terms, an individual would normally serve a maximum of two terms. An individual whose initial appointment is to fill an unexpired term or an initial staggered term of less than three years shall be eligible to serve the number of full-length terms other members are eligible to serve unless prior to the time for reappointment that individual has already served six consecutive years. This policy may be waived if, the Board of Commissioners determines that the removal of an individual or a number of individuals made ineligible by this Policy would be detrimental to the functioning of that board, commission, committee or authority.
Section 2. The following exceptions shall apply to the above procedure:
1. Commissions, committees or organizations appointed for special ad hoc tasks or purposes.
2. Present membership on boards, commissions, committees or authorities existing at the date of adoption of this policy may be eligible for reappointment to and serve one more full term regardless of how many appointments and terms of office preceded the adoption of this policy. Thereafter, said membership shall be brought into conformity with this policy as the existing terms expire or the office is otherwise available for reappointment.
3. Terms of office for members of Fire District Commissioners and Trustees of the Fire Relief Fund Board.
4. For any board, commission, committee or authority having a term of office of five (5) or more years, no reappointments is available and appointment to such a board, commission, committee or authority shall be limited to one (1) full term.
Section 3. Attendance Requirement:
Any member who fails to attend at least 75% of the regular meetings, except for excused illness, or other extraordinary circumstances, of the commission, committee, board or council during any one calendar year period shall be removed from said commission, committee, board or council. Each commission, committee, board or council is hereby empowered to define the term “extraordinary circumstances” on a case by case basis and to excuse absences because of illness and extraordinary circumstances. The chairman of each commission, committee, board or council shall submit to the Chairman of the Board of Commissioners an annual attendance report by January 30 of each year listing any member who at the end of the calendar year has not attended 75% of the regular meetings, excepting therefrom any member whose absences in excess of 25% of the regular meetings have been excused. Members not meeting this 75% attendance requirement may be removed by action of the Board of County Commissioners upon receipt of the annual report by the Chairman of the Board of Commissioners.