Census Day is April 1, 2020
Hospitals. Fire departments. Schools. Even roads and highways. The census is more than just a head count—it can shape many different aspects of Guilford County.
Results are used to help determine:
- How over $675 Billion/year is distributed to state and local governments using Census numbers (Over $4 Trillion over the decade). These funds are spent on schools, hospitals, roads, public works and other vital programs.
- The number of seats each state gets in Congress. Census is constitutionally mandated for re-apportionment of Congress.
- How state and local officials draw boundaries for congressional districts, state legislative districts and school districts.
Census data is also used in:
- Forecasting of future transportation needs.
- Determining areas eligible for housing assistance and rehabilitation loans.
- Assisting tribal, federal, state and local governments in planning, and implementing programs and services in:
- Social Services
- Emergency response
- Designing facilities for people with disabilities, the elderly and children.