Bridges of Guilford County
By: Lorelei Elkins
It turns out that the month of November is National Historic Bridge month, and Guilford County has a number of historic bridges. Who knew? There is even an organization called Bridge Hunter that bring awareness to historic and notable bridges across the country.
Check out some of Guilford County’s best.
- The Keeling Road Bridge by Lake Hamilton in Greensboro boasts a beautiful stone arch dating from about 1927.
- The concrete rigid frame of Battleground Avenue Bridge was built in 1945 spanning North Buffalo Creek.
- Cridland Road Bridge is an interesting Tee Beam bridge also crossing over North Buffalo Creek.
- Haw River Southern Railway Trestle is an abandoned timber stringer bridge over the Haw River in Stokesdale. It’s total length is 235 feet.It is also known as the Haw River Atlantic & Yadkin Railway Trestle.
- You can find the interesting Deck Archer over Lake Euphemia in Greensboro across from Hamilton Park near Starmount Drive.
If you’re interested in seeing these amazing bridges and more, visit the Bridge Hunter website. Be aware of trespassing issues and personal safety. I wonder what other gems are tucked away in Guilford County?